Friday, March 26, 2010

Urban Park and Romance in the City

Mt. Tabor is a little gem in the eastside of Portland. The park sits on top of an old volcanic cinder cone and has some of the most magnificent views of downtown Portland. The view is especially nice on a clear summer night when you can see lights for miles. On a clear day, the view of Mt. Hood can take your breath away. Or at least it does mine, but any huge crystal clear view of a mountain does. I went there for the first time during the day just this week. They close the gates on Wednesdays for bikers and folks just enjoying a stroll through the park, it’s also opened late into the evening. I would recommend it for a date night. Grab a dessert at Papa Haydn or Pix Patisserie and enjoy the sunset with your significant other.

In addition to great views, it is the home to 3 of the 5 open drinking water reservoirs in Portland. I have heard that these soon might be drained, due to the city or states concern on open reservoirs. Don’t quote me on this, as I cannot remember the details my friend once told me. I was also told this is an active volcano but I think she was full of hogwash. :)

Mt Tabor Park
SE 60th & Salmon St

No comments:

Post a Comment